Branch Writing Contests
This page contains information about contests and calls-for-entry sponsored by CAA Vancouver Branch.
2013 Fiction Contest
The Fiction Contest closed on October 10, 2013. Thanks to everyone who entered. Winners were notified by email no later than November 15, 2013.
Campbell River BC Author Wins First Prize
The winners of the 2013 Canadian Authors Vancouver (CAA) fiction contest were announced Wednesday night at the branch's monthly meeting by Jean Kay, Treasurer and Contest Coordinator.
Campbell River's Alfred Cool won first place for his story “When the Truth Won't Do.” Cool brings readers on his west coast logger's wild ride and lone quest for a Zen moment. In this ironically told struggle with a huge Coho in its writhing contortions, the surprising finale slips in a save-the-ecology message.
The anonymous judges say, “With its fresh and fast flowing descriptions, Cool's tale is an excellently crafted short story.”
Read the rest in the Nov. 15, 2013 media release (PDF–27 KB).
- be invited to read their winning fiction at the Canadian Authors Vancouver annual social evening at the Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown from 6 PM to 9 PM on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 (Note that it is an evening event, and the date is confirmed);
- receive their winning cheques in person at the December event, or have their cheques mailed if they are unable to attend;
- have their winning entries published in the National Voices 2014 Anthology, which will include the 2013 and 2014 fiction contest winners, along with submissions from CAA Vancouver members;
- receive two copies of National Voices 2014; and
- have their winning entries posted on the CAA Vancouver website for one year.
Open to all Canadian Writers
- Win over $600 worth of prizes: First $300, Second $200, Third $100
- Each winner receives two copies of National Voices 2014 Anthology
- Length: Between 1,000 to 2,000 words, unpublished fiction of all types and styles
- Deadline: Entries must be postmarked by
September 30, 2013Thursday, October 10, 2013
- Fee per entry: $15 for national Canadian Authors Association members, $20 for non-members
- Cheques: Payable to CAA Vancouver, or pay online via PayPal (see below)
- CAA Vancouver Fiction Contest 2013
- 5679 – 47A Avenue, Delta, BC V4K 4B5
Pay by PayPal:
- Use 12 pt. Times New Roman font, double spaced, aligned left, on 8 1/2 by 11 paper
- Send three (3) printed copies of your entry for judging
- Your name or other identifiers must not appear on the entry as the contest will be blind judged
- Include a separate cover page with your name, postal address, telephone number(s), email address and the title of your entry
- Include your branch location if you are a CAA member, or M-A-L
- Send multi-entries in one envelope with all titles on one cover page
- Send all fees on one cheque
- No biographical notes are required
- No submission entries will be returned
Please email and mark FICTION CONTEST in the subject line.
2012 Fiction Contest Winners
Congratulations to the winners of CAA Vancouver's 2012 Fiction Contest
- First Place Winner — James L. McWilliams “My Arrival”
- Second Place Winner — Edythe Anstey Hanen “The Escape”
- Third Place (tie) — Ed Griffin “Orion Investigates Canada”
- Third Place (tie) — Georgia Hunter “Yubi and The Good Dog of Tangibad”
CAA Vancouver Branch Anthology
Order National Voices
CAA–Vancouver's 2012 Anthology, National Voices, includes submissions to the call-for-submissions and Fiction Contest on this page.
National Voices is a collection of fiction, non-fiction and poetry written by members of the Canadian Authors Association–Vancouver.
The anthology includes four award-winning submissions from the 2012 Fiction Contest. Learn more….
Purchase a Copy
Deadline for Submissions: Tuesday, October 30, 2012.
President Robert W. Mackay and the Board of Directors invite all CAA Vancouver Branch members for their submission to the National Voices Anthology.
It's planned to include the best work by each CAA member in the genre they do well. The member section would showcase all genres: adult and young readers — whatever their writing strength.
Submission details are also available as a downloadable PDF (PDF–87–KB updated October 17, 2012).
- Prose: Three pages, up to 1,000 words
- Poetry: Three pages of poems, up to 30 lines each with titles, including spaces between verses
- Published works: Please send in published writing with a credit line — acknowledgement
- Unpublished writers: If any queries, please send work in progress to CAA Writer-in-Residence Bernice Lever for comment to in order to meet the deadline for submission
- All submissions: Send one hard copy in document format, which must include author's first and last name, mailing address, home and mobile phone numbers, and email address
- Format: Double spaced Times Roman font on 8½ by 11 letter-sized paper
- Entry Fee $20: Includes one copy of National Voices Anthology.
- Bio: 50 words, maximum
- Entry Fee $20 Includes one copy of National Voices Anthology
CAA Vancouver's National Voices Anthology will be published in November, 2012. Extra copies are $20 each, includes HST, plus $5 shipping.
Mailing Address for CAA Member's Anthology submission, $20 entry fee, and to pre order copies:
- CAA Anthology 2012
- c/o Jean Kay,
- 5679 – 47A Avenue,
- Delta, BC V4K 4B5
Pay by PayPal:
Anthology Queries: Bernice Lever, CAA Vancouver Branch Writer-In-Residence via email at .
Deadline for Anthology submissions: Tuesday, October 30, 2012.
Updated: November 18, 2013